CancelImage Upload

Is your computer slow? Here are 8 simple ways to speed up your PC

Even if you have a brand new computer, if you do not maintain it properly it will at some stage start slowing down. Usually though there are things you can try to get your computer back up to speed. Most of the causes are not hardware, but instead, rather software related. This is a good thing, as it gives you some level of control over your computer's destiny! Here are 8 simple steps to help revive your PC.

Delete all unnecessary files and programs

Imagine you are the captain of an 18th century sloop being chassed by down by a 40 gun man of war, which is drawing closer and closer by the minute. Fighting is not an option. So what is the first thing you tell your crew to do? You throw all unnecessary items over board of course! It is much the same with a computer. Sort through your files and folders, and delete anything you do not really need. To uninstall any programs that you do not require anymore, go into your windows Start Menu, click on Control Panel and then click on Programs and Features. From here you will have a complete overview of all the programs on your PC.

You might have some files that take of a lot of space, but which you do not feel inclined to delete. Your music collection for instance. Here I would suggest you consider investing some money in an external hard drive. The benefits of storing your files externally of course speak for themselves. They become easy to transport while still being accessible, and most important of all you can store them away safely somewhere when you leave your house!

Defragment your computer

If you have not used the disk defragmenter before do not be alarmed. This step is not as complicated as it sounds. The disk defragmenter is a standard program included by windows, and helps re-organise your files on your hard drive. Your files and folder of course will from your perspective stay in the same place. This step is merely there to help your hard drive operate more efficient by moving your files closer together on the disk itself. Again, nothing will happen to your folder structures! This is an important step to speeding up your PC. Chances are you will notice a big difference in your computer after it has been defragmented. To start the windows disk defragmenter, first close all programs running on your PC, then:

1. Click on the Windows Start Button
  2. Click on All Programs
  3. Go into Accessories
  4. Then System Tools
  5. Disk Defragmenter
  6. To start click on Defragment now
  7. Choose the drives that you want to defragment and click ok
  8. Let Windows Defragmenter run it's course

Eliminating annoying auto start programs

It is amazing how many programs that you install feel you will require their presence immediately upon login on to your computer. And as if this were not bad enough the general computer user sees no immediate method through which to prevent annoying programs from automatically starting up. If you also happen to have a bunch of programs that automatically start up and eat up valuable processing resources, here is how you tell them to sit put:

1. Click on the Windows Start Button.
  2. In the search area type in cmd and press enter.
  3. In cmd.exe type msconfig and press enter.
  4. The System Configuration box should appear.
  5. Click on the Start Up tab.
  6. Have fun blocking those annoying unwanted programs!

Temporary Internet Files

If only Temporary Internet Files were indeed temporary. If not deleted by yourself, Temporary Internet Files will amount up until all eternity, eventually building a mountain of unwanted files. In the newer Internet Explorers a mass of Temporary Files does not seem to have that greater effect, but the older ones used to slow done tremendously as a result of their collection. Deleting Temporary Internet Files is simple. In your IE, click on Tools and then on Internet Optinos. A window will appear. Under Browser History click on Delete. From here you will be able to delete annoying files Temporary Internet Files which might be slowing down your browser.

Reschedule your Anti-Virus Program

For most users this step is common sense, but I thought I would include it anyway. You see much like with us humans, computers can only do so much multi-tasking before they start slowing down. This is why I would advise you reschedule you computer's Anti-Virus scan to a time when you are not sat at your desk. Perhaps your lunch break if it has to run while you are at work, or if at home you can usually set it to run when you go to bed. Most anti virus software products have an option available where your computer turns itself off once the scan is done.

What is on your clipboard?

This is an interesting one. Most people will never encounter this problem. But if you regularly copy and paste large quantities of text you might have experienced your computer struggling at times. For what ever reason Windows does not like a lot of text stuck on its clipboard. The solution however is easy. Once you are done copying and pasting, simply select one word from a piece of text, copy it, and all the processing resources will become available again.

How efficient is your fan?

Now this is a hardware issues. But one that has a lot of influence on your computer's processor. You see, my current laptop is an acer. And although I am happy overall with its performance, it does have one major design blunder. The fan is placed underneath the laptop, and it acts like a mini vacuum cleaner! The amount of dust that goes up there over time is unbelievable. After I had my laptop for a year it would simply overheat and shut down every half an hour. As a last ditch effort to revive my acer, and to save myself dishing out money for a new IBM Laptop, I decided to turn my laptop over and stick my vacuum cleaner in front of the fan and see if it would make a difference. Sure enough months worth of dust was removed, and all of a sudden my laptop was working as good as new! No more overheating! Now, I am honestly not sure if this is a procedure recommended by PC and Laptop manufacturers. And I would definitely advice you not to open up your computer and start vacuum cleaning around. It is a very bad idea. And if you do try vacuum cleaning out the fan and it messes up your computer, don't say you were not warned! I will not be held liable. Also, if you try this bold move, make sure your PC is turned off and unplugged.

By the way, what is your room temperature?

As established, computers don't like heat. They thrive in a cool (not cold, but cool) environment. If your computer is currently stuck in the sun, moving it into the shade would probably not be a bad idea. Do not however stick your Computer in the fridge, into a freezer bag, or try any other stupid ideas! Just simply try to keep it in the shade.

Conclusion

I hope your computer has now picked up some speed. However, if none of the these 8 tips worked, I suggest you either surf the net for more geek remedies, or go seek advice from a PC technician.

Login
Want to leave a comment?

No problem. Just enter your email and password below.

register | home | reminder

myDesignTool Networking • www.mydesigntool.cominfo@mydesigntool.com